If a layman asks me what I do on my job and what is automation technology, it is difficult to give an answer that is limited to two or three sentences.
The activity itself is still very extensive, if I limit it to the electrical engineering and information technology areas. Here are the areas of mechanical and process engineering, which are included, for sure, by the automation technology, basically even more important. Without machinery and equipment on which producers manufacture their products, no one would need the electrical automation technology.
The range of electrical automation technology, and only about that is the speech here, ranges from a simple light switch on the shop floor right up to the enterprise resource planning system (ERP), which supports all factoriy and their operations.
We distinguish in the following areas of automation, but the list is certainly not complete:
- The electrical design for configuring the equipment and production of circuit diagrams.
- The control software for the direct control of all system functions in real time.
- The information software for the organization of massive data flows within the production processes.
- The measurement and control technology ensures that the processes always run within the optimal range.
- The field-technology ensures that all relevant process parameters for the production are reliably submitted to the control system's access.
- The electrical installation, without which neither energy nor data transfer would be possible.
- The commissioning leads the assembled production step by step in a controlled and optimized production.
It is noteworthy that many of the professionals working in automation technology, skilled workers, technicians and engineers often cover several of these areas.